Sunday, February 7, 2010

L'amour is in the air

I've been seriously craving mysterious romance and passion these last few weeks. For the first time in a long long time, I'm totally on board with the spirit of Valentine's Day, and all I can think about is deep crimson reds and blacks, and old faded love letters from a bygone era. All things that evoke passion are stirring me currently; not just the concept of Valentine's Day, but also music, dance, creativity and courage in general. I say the word "courage" because I believe that it required bravery to follow your heart and love something with a sense of ferocity and total abandon.

Right now it all feels new to me all over again and its fun to reevaluate what this means to me. I've been watching love films (sshhhh! don't tell) and reading love sonnets by Pablo Neruda. I'm enjoying each day as a blank slate that allows me to pursue the unusual and explore new terrain. I have no idea what has inspired and stirred these feelings, but I'm glad to be exploring and enjoying the moment.


Spanish_rose_by_Raipun.jpg"Spanish Rose" By Raipun


floraletter.jpg


aged love letter



oldloveyes.jpg


Love letters


Christian Lacroix always does it for me. The mixture of old world embellishments and religious iconography along with flowing, dreamy, designs ranging from the Byzantium era through the Edwardian period gets me every time. I love the corset vest below that looks like a bejeweled piece of chest armor.


20080703_christianlacroixhcfw2008b.jpg


Christian Lacroix



Coppelia-Pique-Lace-Stilletos-NotCouture-756398.jpg


lace stillettos



There's no way in hell I would forget to mention Valentino on this post. I especially love the asymmetrical side gather of the chiffon, notably the way it gives the gown that one organic, off-centered element to make it completely perfect to me.


<a href=.jpg<a href=.jpg


Valentino Red



l_b4756512c667ccc340c328f04d74fd56.jpg



en pointe








neruda.jpg


Pablo Neruda


and my favorite Pablo Neruda love poem ever:



Sonnet 17


"I do not love you as if you were salt-rose, or topaz,

or the arrow of carnations the fire shoots off.

I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,

in secret, between the shadow and the soul.


I love you as the plant that never blooms

but carries in intself the light of hidden flowers;

thanks to your love a certain solid fragrance,

risen from the earth, lives darkly in my body.


I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where.

I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride;

so I love you because I know no other way.


In which there is no I or you

so intimate that your hand upon my chest is my hand

so intimate that when you fall asleep it is my eyes that close."



~ Pablo Neruda~


No comments:

Post a Comment